From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] spam - different IP's
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 13:57:23
1 On 5/2/21 6:10 pm, Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 5 February 2021 01:48:09 GMT Adam Carter wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 6:07 PM Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday, February 4, 2021, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> I'm perplex with this entry in apache log.
6 >>>> I'm sure it was done by same person as the timing is very sequential and
7 >>>> same file-name request, but how they were able to lunch an attack from a
8 >>>> different IP's different geographical locations.
9 >>>> Can they spoof an IP?
10 >>> Probably just different instances of the same bot scanning for
11 >>> vulnerabilities. I imagine you will keep seeing that log from many
12 >>> different ips
13 >> FWIW i'm seeing the same traffic. Here's some numbers;
14 >>
15 >> $ zgrep -ic wlwmanifest.xml access.log*
16 >> access.log:16
17 >> access.log-20210110.gz:0
18 >> access.log-20210117.gz:0
19 >> access.log-20210124.gz:34
20 >> access.log-20210131.gz:0
21 > Bot herders have acquired many geographically dispersed IP addresses to run
22 ...
23 > Depending on your server's IP address featuring on some target list, the
24 > volume of calls can become quite high. Trying to manually block the bots is a
25 > tedious and ineffective task, because the professionals will add yet one more
26 > compromised IP address to their herd faster than you can block them. A
27 > scripted honeypot to automatically block typical mass scans, e.g. for
28 > wordpress installations, would be more effective.
29
30 Use fail2ban to target active abusers using your logs. (recommended)
31
32 Leverage the cloud with something like:
33 http://iplists.firehol.org/?ipset=firehol_level1 (loaded to shorewall
34 with ipset:hash) to preemptively ban via blacklists - recommended.
35 There are many good blacklists out there - this one is a meta-list and
36 has fast and responsive updates.
37
38 Snort (in IDS mode triggering a fail2ban rule) is a bit heavier
39 resource-wise but quite useful.  Snort in IPS mode is better, but it can
40 impact throughput. (if you are commercial, consider a licence to get the
41 latest rules as soon as they are created/needed.)
42
43 or use all of them at the same time :)
44
45 BillK