From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:00:12
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:21 PM, Remco Rijnders <remco@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 07:00:52AM +0000, Caveman wrote in
5 >
6 > > yes. smtp is nasty, and also redundant.
7 >
8 > How is it redundant?
9
10 redundant as in containing concepts already done
11 in other protocols, so smtp has many re-invented
12 wheels that are already invented in existing
13 protocols. basically smtp, as an application-layer
14 protocol, is needless. imo, smtp should be a
15 much-higher level protocol defined purely on top of
16 how dns and http/2.
17
18 e.g. for mail submission, there is no need for a
19 separate application-layer protocol as we can
20 simply use http/2. because the concept of mail
21 submission is a special case of data submission,
22 which is already in http/2.
23
24 here is a more complete example of what i mean:
25
26 1. we lookup MX records to identify smtp servers
27 to submit mails to.
28 2. from the response to that lookup we get a
29 domain name, say, mail.dom.com.
30 3. then, the standard defines a http/2 request
31 format to submit the mail.
32
33 an example of step (3) could be this:
34
35 https://mail.dom.com/from=...&to=...&cc=...\
36 &bcc=...&subject=...&attach1=...&attach2=...\
37 &attachn=...
38
39 i don't know how http/2 works. do they have
40 POST requests? if so maybe fields attach1,
41 attach2, ..., attachn can be submitted as file
42 uploads using POST.
43
44 further, if we modify steps (1) and (2), we can
45 generalise this concept into tor services. e.g.
46 an email address simply becomes an onion address.
47 e.g. if vagzgdrh747aei0q.onion is the hidden
48 service address of your mail server, then your
49 email address could be written as (for convenience):
50
51 remco@××××××××××××××××.onion
52
53 and when a "mail" client tries to submit you an
54 email, it submits it by this url:
55
56 https://vagzgdrh747aei0q.onion/to=remco&...etc.
57
58 then, in order to authenticate a source, we simply
59 use public-private keys to sign messages.
60 basically, our public keys become our user
61 identifiers. this will also solve the problem of
62 the case when an onion address changes.
63
64 i call this protocol mailball for the purpose of
65 making speech this mail thread a bit easier. of
66 course, we can pick better names, and refine the
67 mechanics.
68
69 > > makes me wonder if i should just create me a
70 > > hidden tor service that is just a normal website,
71 > > and give its url to people (instead of email) who
72 > > want to message me by telling them ``submit your
73 > > messages to me''. then, verify messages by
74 > > mailing their supplied email a confirmation
75 > > message.
76 >
77 > Ah, the "Don't spam us, we'll spam you approach?"
78
79 for people who use the deprecated smtp protocol, yes,
80 it will be "don't spam us, we'll spam you".
81
82 however, that's not our fault. they are using a
83 deprecated protocol, and we are just kind enough
84 to allow them an opportunity to talk to us over
85 the superior mailball protocol. basically, they
86 are using deprecated identifiers (email ids)
87 instead of public keys, and we're kind enough to
88 give them a temporary api so that we confirm their
89 emails.
90
91 on the other hand, people who use mailball will
92 not have this problem. why? because ids are
93 public keys anyway, and their messages are signed
94 by their private keys (the usual drill, won't
95 insult your intelligence).