From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 08:02:58
1 > >> I've only ever used systems with a single CPU. I'm looking for a new
2 host
3 > >> for a dedicated server (suggestions?) and it looks like I'll probably
4 > >> choose a machine with two or four CPUs. What sort of complications
5 does
6 > >> that add to set up and/or maintenance with Gentoo?
7 > >
8 > > none
9 > >
10 > > also, forget numa. You won't deal with douzends of cores each using
11 local
12 > > memory and acccession the memory managed by the other cores.
15 > It depends on his application, maybe his application does benefit on
16 > NUMA architecture. Until we don't know what he's running, we can't
17 > really say this or that architecture/technology is of no use ;)
18 >
19 > So Volker, what applications are you running (and BTW: what volume of
20 > data are you managing, how many users, ...)? This will helps us help
21 > you :)
22 >
23 > Rafa
24
25 It's an apache2/mysql server with a medium amount of traffic.
26
27 - Grant