From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:10:32
1 On Saturday 10 December 2005 12:08 pm, drew@××××××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4
3 > chipset.
4
5 Make that an NForce 4 chipset. Got confused between graphics and
6 motherboards. :)
7
8 > here are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe
9 > configuration using the controller built in to the motherboard.
10 > The machine and disks were used as a Windows XP workstation. Now
11 > that Windows installation is hosed up and I'm using the opportunity
12 > to covert this machine to a Gentoo desktop.
13 >
14 > However there is some data on the drive that I'd like to recover
15 > before blowing the disk away. I booted the latest Knoppix dated
16 > 9/23/05 and see two icons on the desktop for my drives. One for
17 > sda the other for sdb. I can not mount either. I assume this is
18 > because Knoppix is seeing each drive individually instead of the
19 > one logical striped drive it is.
20 >
21 > Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix
22 > to see the two individual drives as one logical striped drive? I
23 > can't recover the data from booting Windows because it's all
24 > screwed up and reboots itself shortly after logon.
25 >
26 > Thanks,
27 >
28 > Drew