From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update gentoo without network
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:46:18
1 On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:28:27 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2
3 > > Download the latest portage snapshot on B
4 > > Unpack it on A
5 > > Run emerge -ufp @world on A and capture the output
6 > > Use that on B to download the files
7 > > Copy them back to A and emerge -u @world
8 > >
9 > > That avoids the use of a chroot altogether but involves two round
10 > > trips across the sneakernet. You could possible save some of that by
11 > > transferring the portage snapshot and download list as email
12 > > attachments, assuming A has email.
13
14 > Yes, I used that procedure in the past but it requires more human
15 > effort so I'd prefer the chroot approach; also I found that sometimes
16 > the list of files downloaded by system B was not complete and I had to
17 > further iterate the procedure. At the time I assumed it was due to the
18 > two systems being based on different architectures (~amd64 and ~x86),
19 > but did not really spend much time investigating.
20
21 The architecture is irrelevant, the fetching machine doesn't have to run
22 Gentoo, or even Linux you are simply giving it a list if URLs to fetch.
23 The output from emerge -f gives multiple URLs for each file. Instead of
24 taking only the first one, whch may be the cause of the failures, there
25 is an option to wget to not download duplicates, so you can pass it the
26 full list and it keeps trying until it succeeds.
27
28 As for the effort, you could automate part of the process with cron and
29 procmail scripts. Your current approach also requires more effort than
30 you are currently giving it, that's why it doesn't work :(
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.