From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update gentoo without network
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:25:39
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:05:35 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
3 >
4 > If you don't mind a two step approach, you could
5 >
6 > Download the latest portage snapshot on B
7 > Unpack it on A
8 > Run emerge -ufp @world on A and capture the output
9 > Use that on B to download the files
10 > Copy them back to A and emerge -u @world
11 >
12 > That avoids the use of a chroot altogether but involves two round trips
13 > across the sneakernet. You could possible save some of that by
14 > transferring the portage snapshot and download list as email attachments,
15 > assuming A has email.
18 Yes, I used that procedure in the past but it requires more human effort
19 so I'd prefer the chroot approach; also I found that sometimes the list
20 of files downloaded by system B was not complete and I had to further
21 iterate the procedure. At the time I assumed it was due to the two
22 systems being based on different architectures (~amd64 and ~x86), but
23 did not really spend much time investigating.
24
25 raffaele