From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update gentoo without network
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:17:35
1 On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:05:35 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2
3 > > On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 12:38:13 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> I suppose the database I'm looking for is /var/db/pkg, right?
6 > >
7 > > /var/lib/portage/world - this needs to be in sync in the two
8 > > environments.
9 >
10 > Ok but that's a 'static' snapshot of the packages; I also need to
11 > update in the chroot the list of currently installed packages and their
12 > versions and that's in /var/db/pkg, I think. I'll test it this evening.
13
14 Yes, you do.
15
16 > > Are the two computers networked together? If so, you could run
17 > > http_replicator on B and it would download the packages for A.
18 >
19 > No, the computers are on completely separated networks. The only way to
20 > bypass the security policy on one of the two networks is through
21 > removable media ;-)
22
23 I used a similar, but networked approach to build packages for slow
24 machines in containers in a faster computer. Because I was building in
25 the container, not just downloading, I didn't have to worry about the
26 package database, I just synced /var/lib/portage/world* and
27 etc/portage (excluding make.conf) and used a shared $PKG_DIR
28
29 If you don't mind a two step approach, you could
30
31 Download the latest portage snapshot on B
32 Unpack it on A
33 Run emerge -ufp @world on A and capture the output
34 Use that on B to download the files
35 Copy them back to A and emerge -u @world
36
37 That avoids the use of a chroot altogether but involves two round trips
38 across the sneakernet. You could possible save some of that by
39 transferring the portage snapshot and download list as email attachments,
40 assuming A has email.
44 Neil Bothwick
45
46 Time for a diet! -- [NO FLABBIER].