From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:52:01
1 Am Freitag, 17. August 2018, 07:55:57 CEST schrieb Dale:
2 > Marc Joliet wrote:
3 > > Am Freitag, 10. August 2018, 04:46:17 CEST schrieb Dale:
4 [...]
5 > >> I did think about btrfs. I've read a lot of threads on here about
6 > >> people using it and it seems to have come a long ways and be pretty
7 > >> stable. Right now, I've got a lot going on and really don't have the
8 > >> time to sit down and read up on it and how it works or what all it can
9 > >> do. In all honesty, if my system were to crash later when I don't have
10 > >> so much going on, I'd like to move to btrfs for as much as possible of
11 > >> my system.
12 > >
13 > > Yeah, it's a good idea to wait until you have time :) . And then migrate
14 > > piecemeal, not all at once. Following up on Wol's suggestion, I would
15 > > start with the backup drive, since you can exploit most of the features
16 > > there (well, snapshots and compression, at least). Personally, I've had
17 > > mostly good experience with btrfs and enjoy its send/receive feature for
18 > > full-system incremental backups.
19 > >
20 > >> I suspect /boot would still have to be ext2 or something
21 > >> because of grub.
22 > >
23 > > GRUB actually supports btrfs. However, on a UEFI system you will need a
24 > > FAT32 file system for /boot, so I would argue that on a relatively recent
25 > > system the issue is moot.
26 >
27 > Yea, time is even more limited now. My Mom is still in the hospital
28 > about a hour away. I'm not supposed to visit people there, and other
29 > places where a lot of sick people can be, but it's my Mom. I went
30 > twice. The morning after the second visit, I was at the Doctors
31 > office. Now I'm sick. Luckily, the meds are working. Thing is, I
32 > don't feel like messing with computer stuff right now. Even cooking a
33 > meal is not so interesting. I can't taste or smell anyway. So, it may
34 > be a while before I get the time to deal with any of this. I would
35 > likely not learn anything about a new file system even if I read it more
36 > than once. I'm even avoiding updates just to prevent anything from
37 > going sideways. I wonder, how many times will I proof and edit this
38 > email????
39
40 In that case I wish you both a speedy recovery! It's not like the technology
41 will run away from you, anyway.
42
43 > I thought I read Grub, the new version, supported more file systems.
44 > Still, just for safety, I'd likely still use ext2. There's a lot of new
45 > stuff out there. Just tons of options.
46 >
47 > Thanks.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
52
53 Greetings
54 --
55 Marc Joliet
56 --
57 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
58 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup