From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3.7.1 SATA errors
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:00:23
1 * Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> [121225 07:16]:
2 > Am 23.12.2012 20:23, schrieb felix@×××××××.com:
3 > >
4 > > I have since had some time to explore this and find it related to the
5 > > kernel; 3.6.10 works fine, while 3.7.1 fails. If I reset during the
6 > > 3.7.1 boot while it is spewing its error messages, but before the
7 > > kernel ultimately panics, I can reboot with 3.6.10, but if 3.7.1 goes
8 > > all the way to the panic, I have to power off and wait a few minutes
9 > > before a 3.6.10 reboot is succesful. This is repeatable, but I
10 > > haven't bothered to see how long the system must be off; "a few
11 > > minutes" is enough.
12 > >
13 > > There are two error messages during the 3.7.1 boot, repeated for all
14 > > SATA drives:
15 > >
16 > > ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x2f) ata5.00: failed to set xfermode
17 > > (err_mask=0x40)
20 > The code that prints these messages has not been changed since 2011 so I
21 > guess it is a driver issue. You never posted which driver you use
22 > exactly and your kernel config enables all. Therefore I cannot look further.
23 >
24 > The best way to find out what's wrong is to bisect the kernel, i.e.
25 > finding the exact commit that caused the issue to appear.
26 >
27 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect
28 >
29 > Unfortunately, there have been 1545 commits between 3.6 and 3.7. With
30 > blind bisection you need 39 kernels to find the issue. Maybe `git log`
31 > can give you a hint which commits might be relevant.
32 >
33 > Regards,
34 > Florian Philipp
37 A me too on the problem the original poster is seeing.
38
39 I too am seeing this on a server I have. 3.7.0 and 3.7.1 both don't work
40 but 3.6.10 works fine.
41
42 I'm using the sata_mv driver with a SuperMicro (two actually) cards with
43 Marvell MV88SX6081's. These chips and their driver have had some issues
44 in the past.
45
46 I also looked for changes in the driver and didn't see any. Though I
47 did see some libata changes.
48
49 I haven't had time to do a git bisect yet.
50
51 Todd