From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migration from single to dual core
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:26:53
1 On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 00:14:58 +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > So, again, what differences will there be, that will require immediate
4 > adjustment? I have changed to "-j3" in make.conf. I have so many
5 > packages installed it will take many days to recompile, and, again, I
6 > am considering a reinstallation of everything.
7
8 Providing you are sticking to the same 32 or 64 bit choice, enabling SMP
9 in the kernel should be sufficient, although you may also want to revisit
10 your CFLAGS (I went from Althon64 to Intel Core2Duo so I did have to
11 change CFLAGS).
12
13 So what if it takes days to emerge -e world? You have a working system
14 that will continue to work while you are recompiling.
15
16 As far as the build up of cruft on your system is concerned, reinstalling
17 to get rid of it is the windows-esque solution, i.e. it is not a
18 solution at all. You need to learn top keep your system clean with
19 judicious use of emerge --depclean and revdep-rebuild. If a worl update
20 causes you problems now, reinstalling won't fix that, it will merely
21 delay its recurrence.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Why marry a virgin? If she wasn't good enough for the rest of them, then
28 she isn't good enough for you.