From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Migration from single to dual core
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:22:15
1 I have been running a machine for a long while. I am beginning to
2 think that the old saw that Gentoo isn't release oriented is hogwash:
3 each installation seems to be more polished, leaving behind a windrove
4 of cruft accumlating over the years. The few times I have installed
5 since my introduction two years ago have each exposed some more
6 polished installation aspects/details.
7
8 Be that as it may, I have now installed a new motherboard and CPU. I
9 have moved from a 64 bit AMD single core Athlon 64 to a dual core AMD
10 Athlon 64. The install has gone well, I have had to recompile the
11 kernel before migrating; however, some questions remain.
12
13 So it's back to the old threads about whether 64 bits is superior to
14 32, etc. My question now is, given that the system is working damned
15 well now, what is the best way to handle this: recompile everything?
16 Should I recompile gcc and the libraries and all compilers.
17
18 I have to say that this system is pretty solid, but it's been hard to
19 keep up with the housekeeping. And emerge -uDav world has been next
20 to impossible.
21
22 So, again, what differences will there be, that will require immediate
23 adjustment? I have changed to "-j3" in make.conf. I have so many
24 packages installed it will take many days to recompile, and, again, I
25 am considering a reinstallation of everything. Gentoo has cured me of
26 that weakness for constant upgrades and installs, even while
27 convincing me of the excellence of compiling for the machine.
28
29 Alan Davis
33 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com
34
35 "It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
36 ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list