From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:36:20
1 On 2015-08-21, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Earlier I saw segfaults in gcc, and another poster pointed it out.
4 >
5 > When gcc segfaults, it is always suspicious mostly because the compiler
6 > is an app where we know the devs take extraordinary measures to prevent it.
7 >
8 > The most common cause is faulty hardware (most often memory) as gcc
9 > tends to use all of it in ways no other app does. The usual procedure
10 > at this point is to run memtest for an extended period - say 48
11 > hours, or even 72 for an older slow machine.
12
13 That is definitely good advice. I've run into this situation several
14 times. A machine had bad RAM that didn't seem to cause any problems
15 under "normal" operation. But, when trying to compile something large
16 like gcc, I would see non-repeatable segfaults (it wouldn't always
17 segfault at the exact same point). In those cases, I could often run
18 memtest for several passes and not see an error. But, _eventually_
19 ramtest would catch it. Run memtest for a few days. Really.
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm having an
23 at EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!! But,
24 gmail.com uh, WHY is there a WAFFLE
25 in my PAJAMA POCKET??