From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 06:10:09
1 On 21/08/2015 04:41, wraeth wrote:
2 > On 21/08/15 11:49, Alan Grimes wrote:
3 >> tortoise ~ # emerge --info ... Repositories:
4 >
5 > You have a fair number of overlays. It probably doesn't need to be
6 > said, but you should watch out for packages being pulled in from an
7 > overlay instead of the default Gentoo repository.
8 >
9 >> CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -pipe " CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -pipe
10 >> "
11 >
12 > C{XX}FLAGS="-O3" is known to cause some issues [1]. If you've done an
13 > --emptytree rebuild with "-O3" then this could be the cause of the
14 > segfaults.
17 Earlier I saw segfaults in gcc, and another poster pointed it out.
18
19 When gcc segfaults, it is always suspicious mostly because the compiler
20 is an app where we know the devs take extraordinary measures to prevent it.
21
22 The most common cause is faulty hardware (most often memory) as gcc
23 tends to use all of it in ways no other app does. The usual procedure at
24 this point is to run memtest for an extended period - say 48 hours, or
25 even 72 for an older slow machine.
29 >> wraeth wrote:
30 >>> More information about your environment, such as an `emerge
31 >>> --info` and relevant flags/settings for a specific package that
32 >>> is failing would go a fair way to giving us the information we
33 >>> need (and have asked for) to be able to help you.
34 >
35 > The `emerge --info` helps, but you haven't listed an explicit build
36 > failure or details about that package.
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com