From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sg_map etc
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 21:43:08
1 On 03/01/2017 08:31 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 2017-03-01 um 16:49 schrieb Daniel Frey:
3 >
4 >>> Have you tried `lsblk -O`?
5 >>>
6 >>> Dan
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> Well, I forgot how much info that barfs out.
10 >>
11 >> Try `lsblk -o name,model,serial` instead.
12 >
13 > nice one, thanks.
14 > But the shown serials don't match the serials on the disk(s) :-(
15 >
16 > I also tried "-O" and searched for them.
17 >
18 > It seems that the controller adds some extra layer or something.
19 > The vendor is shown as "ICP" (wrong in a way), I see partitions and so
20 > (looks good).
21 >
22 > I have a list containing the actual vendors/serials on the physical
23 > labels, and the order in the physical slots, plus which label matches
24 > which /dev/sgX
25 >
26 > *but* the map between sg- and sd-devices isn't correct IMO.
27 >
28 > This is really a pita because I never can tell exactly which physical
29 > disk failed, I only see "ah, sdi1 was kicked out of the array" but then
30 > the search starts ....
34 I'm not sure how the sg? -> sd? mapping is supposed to work. I find it
35 odd that there seems to be two nodes reported for each sd? entry.
36 However, this could be the way the controller driver reports it to the
37 kernel...
38
39 > 07:01.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030
40 > PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 08)
41 > 0a:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID
44 Well, if you are using a hw raid card in jbod mode the controller will
45 generally not report that info. You'd have to install the controller's
46 cli management tools and use that. You'd have to figure out which
47 controller your drives are attached to.
48
49 Adaptec uses sys-block/arcconf
50 LSI uses sys-block/megacli
51 3ware uses sys-block/tw_cli
52
53 An example of my 3ware card in my home server:
54
55 //<hostname>> /c4 show drivestatus
56
57 VPort Status Unit Size Type Phy Encl-Slot Model
58 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
59 p0 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 0 - WDC
60 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
61 p1 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 1 - WDC
62 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
63 p2 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 2 - WDC
64 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
65 p3 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 3 - WDC
66 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
67 p4 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 4 - WDC
68 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
69 p5 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 5 - WDC
70 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
71 p6 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 6 - WDC
72 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
73 p7 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 7 - WDC
74 WD1003FBYX-01Y7
75
76 I can also pick a drive and get stats:
77 //<hostname>> /c4/p0 show model
78 /c4/p0 Model = WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7B1
79
80 //<hostname>> /c4/p0 show serial
81 /c4/p0 Serial = WD-WMAW31350107
82
83 The management tools for the other cards should provide this sort of
84 functionality.
85
86 If you had used the raid card to create an array the management cli
87 tools with show that a specific port is dead and you query it for the
88 serial number.
89
90 This doesn't help you with the sg mapping. The problem for you now will
91 be figuring out why sg_map is reporting the way it is.
92
93 Dan