From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT: Computers-memory-lane.... [Was: [gentoo-user] Re: How low can you go?]
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:50:36
1 On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 16:35, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 April 2011 11:13:58 Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >> Oh, the nostalgy... :-)
4 >>
5 >> My first computer I believe was an Apple ][, a hand-down from an
6 >> uncle. It ran only for 1-2 weeks before it went to the Bit Bucket in
7 >> the Sky.
8 >
9 > That's sad, only 2 weeks...
10 > A friend of my dad got us an apple-emulator, had a game I played a lot untill
11 > I found out that the game was incomplete and would always crash at the same
12 > point. It was a point-click adventure...
13 >
14 >> Then my parents got me an Atari 800XL. That's where I cut my
15 >> programming teeth with its built-in BASIC.
16 >
17 > Yes, the old days with Basic. I wonder if I still have the old programs... The
18 > 3.5" floppy-disks are still around somewhere..
19 >
20 >> When its floppy drive (5.25") gave up the ghost, I got another
21 >> hand-down; a PC-XT compatible no-name with a huge (at that time) 20 MB
22 >> hard disk.
23 >
24 > 2nd one we had was a 386sx-16mhz with 2 mb ram and 40mb harddrive.
25 > I did try to install linux on that once, but the network-install took forever.
26 > The NIC could do 10mbit half-duples (coax), but effective speed was less.
27 > Symptoms:
28 > download 1KB at full speed
29 > card crashed
30 > driver resets after 5 minutes
31 > ... repeat...
34 Okay, I have to be honest: I LOL-ed at that... xD
35
36 > That was in 2.0.x kernels and I think I saw a change-log where that driver
37 > finally got fixed in 2.6.0 (could be mistaken on that. It was an Intel
38 > Etherlink-16)
39 >
40 > I don't have that card anymore.
41 >
42 >> Again, it died after serving me & my brother for a couple of years,
43 >> and we got a "PC Brand 486 SLC" desktop. And there I dabbled in Pascal
44 >> and ASM, making replacement drivers for MS-DOS :-P ... I still
45 >> remember tuning QEMM386.sys trying to eke the last bytes of Low
46 >> Memory...
47 >
48 > What's the most low-memory you could get it and still use it?
49 > I managed to get low memory to around 634KB (If I remember correctly) using
50 > the memory-tools that came with Norton Utilities at the time.
53 I don't really recall... but around the same number, I guess. 630-something.
54
55 Actually, I once managed to get 639KB, but lots of apps became
56 unstable, so I went slightly more conservative :-)
57
58 >> Afterwards, I started university, and its a blur of PC clones (and
59 >> Windows 9x)... and I shifted mental-gears to become a network engineer
60 >
61 > When did you switch to Linux?
62 >
63 > I switched when MS Windows 95 crashed once too many and decided to delete some
64 > files along with it. I didn't bother fixing that installation and eventually
65 > reclaimed the diskspace and removed it from /etc/lilo.conf.
68 Too many apps* I use day-by-day have only Windows version, so I never
69 did switch to Linux :-(
70
71 First time I ever deployed Linux for day-to-day work was when I
72 started an IT Training company with my former professor. We installed
73 Fedora Core but replaced the UI with xfce.
74
75 However, not until Ubuntu Hardy did I finally got serious about
76 migrating to Linux. Currently am still migrating the non-legacy
77 servers to Linux from Windows
78
79 * please consider "games" as "apps" :-P
82 Rgds,
83 --
84 Pandu E Poluan
85 ~ IT Optimizer ~