From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT: Computers-memory-lane.... [Was: [gentoo-user] Re: How low can you go?]
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:15:55
1 On Monday 04 April 2011 11:49:02 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 16:35, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 04 April 2011 11:13:58 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > >> When its floppy drive (5.25") gave up the ghost, I got another
5 > >> hand-down; a PC-XT compatible no-name with a huge (at that time) 20 MB
6 > >> hard disk.
7 > >
8 > > 2nd one we had was a 386sx-16mhz with 2 mb ram and 40mb harddrive.
9 > > I did try to install linux on that once, but the network-install took
10 > > forever. The NIC could do 10mbit half-duples (coax), but effective speed
11 > > was less. Symptoms:
12 > > download 1KB at full speed
13 > > card crashed
14 > > driver resets after 5 minutes
15 > > ... repeat...
16 >
17 > Okay, I have to be honest: I LOL-ed at that... xD
18
19 I do as well, now...
20 At the time, I was rather annoyed as I, at the time, made a really good effort
21 finding a decent network card (so I thought) and had to drag that thing into
22 uni by public transport during rush hour...
23
24 > >> Again, it died after serving me & my brother for a couple of years,
25 > >> and we got a "PC Brand 486 SLC" desktop. And there I dabbled in Pascal
26 > >> and ASM, making replacement drivers for MS-DOS :-P ... I still
27 > >> remember tuning QEMM386.sys trying to eke the last bytes of Low
28 > >> Memory...
29 > >
30 > > What's the most low-memory you could get it and still use it?
31 > > I managed to get low memory to around 634KB (If I remember correctly)
32 > > using the memory-tools that came with Norton Utilities at the time.
33 >
34 > I don't really recall... but around the same number, I guess.
35 > 630-something.
36 >
37 > Actually, I once managed to get 639KB, but lots of apps became
38 > unstable, so I went slightly more conservative :-)
39
40 I spent all that effort just to be able to play the occasional game. Most of my
41 programming was, at the time, still done on the Atari. I did use them side-by-
42 side for a while.
43
44 > >> Afterwards, I started university, and its a blur of PC clones (and
45 > >> Windows 9x)... and I shifted mental-gears to become a network engineer
46 > >
47 > > When did you switch to Linux?
48 > >
49 > > I switched when MS Windows 95 crashed once too many and decided to delete
50 > > some files along with it. I didn't bother fixing that installation and
51 > > eventually reclaimed the diskspace and removed it from /etc/lilo.conf.
52 >
53 > Too many apps* I use day-by-day have only Windows version, so I never
54 > did switch to Linux :-(
55
56 There are plenty of games also available for Linux.
57 When I started with Linux, one of the popular ones was "xtris".
58 For the people who don't know it, it's a networked version of tetris where,
59 when one player clears a line, or multiple lines, an equivalent number of
60 junk-lines would appear at the bottom of a random different player.
61
62 In the end there were 2 versions in use.
63 One was binary-only with an ID-code only allowing connections from other
64 binary-only clients.
65 The other one was more open.
66 The reason for the binary-only was due to some complaints about "cheating"
67 where people added additional keys to do all kinds of different things like:
68 - bounce junk to next player
69 - ignore junk-message
70 - send junk to others
71 - select next piece to be available
72
73 These, however, were all modified by the actual player.
74
75 For more "modern" games, there are plenty that run natively on Linux. Either
76 ported/created by the original developers or ported by a third party.
77
78 > First time I ever deployed Linux for day-to-day work was when I
79 > started an IT Training company with my former professor. We installed
80 > Fedora Core but replaced the UI with xfce.
81 >
82 > However, not until Ubuntu Hardy did I finally got serious about
83 > migrating to Linux. Currently am still migrating the non-legacy
84 > servers to Linux from Windows
85
86 Good luck with that. I know about the difficulty with that if some apps use ms-
87 windows specific "tricks"
88
89 > * please consider "games" as "apps" :-P
90
91 Games are applications, yes...
92 Just a very specific type.
95 Joost