From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: HP Library
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:44:35
1 James schrieb:
2 > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
5 >> Has anyone ever managed to upgrade a HP Surestore Library C7201NB with
6 >> Gentoo on the host?
7 >
8 > Nope.
9
10 Noone ever?
11
12 ;)
13
14 >> The hp_ltt-tool is only available in binary form and for old OSs, but
15 >> nothing recent and for sure not for Gentoo.
16 >
17 > don't forget about possible running the old software on a gentoo box with
18 > wine/vmware or such emulators....(see /usr/portage/app-emulation/*)
19
20 So I would need something like Suse 7.3 in a VM, whooo ...
21 Extra tasty when it comes to firmware upgrades.
22
23 > 1. What type of interface are we talking about (rs232 serial, ethernet parallel)?
24
25 Unsure what interface you mean ...
26
27 It's a tape library connected to the host via SCSI, with an additional
28 Remote Management Card from HP providing webaccess, which doesn't fully
29 work for me as I mentioned.
30
31 Additional info here: I tried to access that WebGUI with several
32 browsers in linux and Windows XP, no success, always that Javaclass
33 "JuiceTop" missing.
34
35 > 2. Sniff the connection to see what's on the receiving end
36 > ethernet (ethereal)
37
38 Errm, yes. I have an actual error-message in the browser ...
39
40 > 3. Analyze the device and see what it's asking for
41 >
42 > 4. Find what it is looking for or just 'dope it' (er trial and error).
45 > Lots of work, but a lot of fun. The older the device the less
46 > protection and obscurity the firmware folks put into the
47 > product.
48 >
49 > 5. If you cannot find detailed information specific to this machine,
50 > just look for info on a similarly aged competitor (you'd be surprise
51 > how many machines of a similar venue have almost identical firmware).
52 >
53 > 6. If none of these work, open up the case and find a serial port, JTAG
54 > or such where you just might get lucky and get raw access to the embedded
55 > host processor, using step 2 or other similar techniques).
56
57 Thanks a lot for your suggestions, but I think that's a bit to heavy for
58 me in the moment ....
59
60 Stefan
63 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list