From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: smplayer does no have sound if not root
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:01:33
1 On 01/17/2010 11:42 AM, Xi Shen wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 01/17/2010 07:31 AM, Xi Shen wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> my system is gentoo amd64, with kde 4.3, smplayer is 0.6.8. i setup my
8 >>> whole as root, and the system works fine. but if i log in as a normal
9 >>> user, the smplayer does not have some. i have already add that user
10 >>> account into the audio group.
11 >>>
12 >>> what have i missed?
13 >>
14 >> Make sure you add yourself to at least all the following groups:
15 >>
16 >> disk wheel audio cdrom video usb plugdev
17 >>
18 >> Also make sure to logout and login again after you do that.
21 > that's a long list...i will try it. but what i have to be in disk,
22 > usb, and plugdev group? what are they for?
23
24 usb and plugdev is for access to USB and hot-pluggable (HAL) devices,
25 which *might* include sound cards. disk is for access to USB disks (I
26 think). Anyway, all those groups are recommended for a desktop user to
27 have as much functionality available as possible.
28
29 Don't forget to *add* yourself to those groups instead of just setting
30 them. This is done with "usermod -a -G". To add yourself to the above
31 groups for example:
32
33 usermod -a -G disk wheel audio cdrom video usb plugdev
34
35 when you type "groups" you should see the groups you belong to. Make
36 sure the "users" group is there too.
37
38 You need to logout and in again for the changes to take effect.
39
40 For reference, the groups I belong to and can confirm everything is
41 working are:
42
43 disk wheel floppy audio cdrom video games usb users portage plugdev
44
45 You might not need them all, but it certainly doesn't hurt :)