From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what gives with -O[x] in cflags?
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 02:11:30
1 On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I did not have -O3 in my cflags because
3 >
4 > A> most packages have an appropriate -O level set
5 > B> Some packages are sensitive to the optimization flag and will
6 > missbehave if set,
7 > C> letting the optimization level default to whatever should always be
8 > safe.
9 >
10 > -> therefore I did not have any optimization set...
11 >
12 > So therefore webkit-gtk decides to be a prissy little cunt and throws an
13 > error because it didn't have an optimization flag set, who the hell do
14 > those developers think they are? If you think you should have an
15 > optimization flag SET IT!!! Just provide an override, throwing an error
16 > just because the user was lazy in compiling it is not acceptable. =|
19 I noticed something similar in Firefox, which from skimming the build
20 log sets -O3 internally regardless of what the user has set. This is
21 troubling for two reasons:
22
23 1) Gentoo (apparently) has a policy of not allowing packages to mangle
24 CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, even with user permission (a useflag of eix was
25 removed because it set -O3 when enabled).
26 2) Firefox is the only application I run that crashes, and I don't
27 know how to disable -O3 to potentially make it more stable.
28
29 Cheers,
30 R0b0t1