From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone successful in paravirtualizing Gentoo on XenServer?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:33:17
1 On Thu, March 24, 2011 9:20 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 14:47, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, March 24, 2011 7:37 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:30, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >>>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 00:03, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> <snipped previous attempts>
8 >>
9 >>>
10 >>> More update on my odyssey.
11 >>>
12 >>> I went back to HVM and reboot using the Install CD. I did a 'chroot'
13 >>> followed by 'rc-update add sshd default' and 'emerge iproute2' (forgot
14 >>> those two the first time). 'poweroff', went back to PV mode, and ...
15 >>>
16 >>> Yay! Now I can SSH into the VM. And indeed, memory usage is minimal
17 >>> (approx 28 MB).
18 >>
19 >> As I read the first email, I was planning on asking if you can connect
20 >> via
21 >> remote.
24 > At first, I can't. But then I realized I forgot to do the 'rc-update
25 > add sshd default' step.
26 >
27 >>> But I still can't login via Xen's virtual console (hvc0). Same as
28 >>> before: Got the 'login:' prompt, but can't type anything.
29 >>>
30 >>> I'll try mucking around with the .config. I have a feeling I disabled
31 >>> one thing too many...
32 >>
33 >> Before playing around with the kernel config further, I don't use
34 >> XenServer, but use the xen-stuff in portage instead. (My host runs
35 >> Gentoo
36 >> as well)
37 >> In the configuration, I add the following to the kernel-parameters:
38 >> " xencons=tty "
39 >> Maybe a similar option will help you as well.
42 > Hmmm... currently I set xencons=hvc0 (also in /etc/inittab, s/tty0/hvc0/)
43 >
44 > I'll see what happens if I return them to tty0.
45
46 Good luck there :)
47
48 >> Otherwise, you could try checking the input-devices. Especially things
49 >> like keyboard/usb/hid/ps/...
52 > Let's see... I got the following checked:
53 > -*- Generic input layer (needed for keyboard, mouse, ...)
54 > < > Support for memoryless force-feedback devices
55 > < > Polled input device skeleton
56 > < > Sparse keymap support library
57 > *** Userland interfaces ***
58 > -*- Mouse interface
59 > [*] Provide legacy /dev/psaux device
60 > (1024) Horizontal screen resolution
61 > (768) Vertical screen resolution
62 > < > Joystick interface
63 > <M> Event interface
64 > < > Event debugging
65 > <*> Xen virtual keyboard and mouse support
66 > *** Input Device Drivers ***
67 > -*- Keyboards --->
68 > [ ] Mice --->
69 > [ ] Joysticks/Gamepads --->
70 > [ ] Tablets --->
71 > [ ] Touchscreens --->
72 > [ ] Miscellaneous devices --->
73 > Hardware I/O ports --->
74 >
75 > Under keyboards, I only have:
76 > <M> XT keyboard
77
78 Hmm... I don't use kernel-modules in my Xen domu's (All are PV). I wonder
79 if compiling them into the kernel might help.
80 Or, try loading the modules listed above and see if that helps. (Not sure
81 if you can see an immediate change though)
82
83 I have attached the .config for one of my domains. It also has support for
84 a passed-through sound-card. You won't need that part. :)
85
86 Please note, I do use the following kernel:
87 sys-kernel/xen-sources-2.6.34-r4
88
89 Which kernel are you using?
90
91 >> Also, if you have further difficulty, the xen-users list might be a
92 >> better
93 >> port of call as there are plenty of people there who use XenServer.
96 > Thanks for the pointer!
97 >
98 >> --
99 >> Joost Roeleveld
100 >>
101 >> PS. Not trying to send you away from this list :)
104 > Heh, no misunderstanding here :)
105 >
106 > Anyways, when I'm successful in my endeavor, I'll sure to be sharing my
107 > tips.
108
109 That's always a good way to make people more happy to help :)
112 Joost

config application/octet-stream