From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Visited web sites
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:19:38
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 20:40:02 -0800
4 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > yes thats the point of squid it is a proxy.
7 >
8 > OK, but that's like using the word in the definition to a guy who's
9 > never used a proxy. ;-)
10 >
11 > I'm still unclear though, and I'm sure I'll find this out either
12 > through reading or use. do all packets for the machine using the proxy
13 > go through the proxy? Or is it more like a DNS server where just the
14 > URL's go through the proxy to figure out what to do?
15
16 No, it forwards all traffic. And there's another thing: You'd have to
17 configure it at the target computer. That is, one can deconfigure it...
18 but read below, there's an option...
19
20 > The I created a lot of extra wireless traffic, especially since the
21 > machine being observed seems to like to watch a lot of gaming videos.
22 > If it's just addresses, then no big deal. If it's the whole data
23 > stream then it's not going to work well.
24
25 Well, in order to log the traffic, you'll have to intercept it.
26
27 Probably, a text filtering firewall looking for --dport 80 and
28 "HTTP/1." at the start of the packet would suffice. You can even use a
29 firewall to make your proxy into a transparent proxy - i.e., all
30 traffic is intercepted at network level and redirected through the
31 proxy. This only works if the firewalling computer is at router level.
32
33 Maybe another idea would be to just sniff the WLAN in monitor mode and
34 use a packet filter to match TCP:80/"HTTP" packets.
37 -hwh
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list