From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Visited web sites
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 04:44:47
1 On 11/5/05, Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:48:04 -0800
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 11/5/05, gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > Hash: SHA1
8 > > >
9 > > > Mark Knecht wrote:
10 > > >
11 > > > >Hi,
12 > > > > My wife is asking if there is an easy way to keep a list of all web
13 > > > >sites visited on a specific computer in the house. I don't know about
14 > > > >such stuff. Is there any way to do that for either Mozilla or Firefox?
15 > > > >
16 > > > >Thanks,
17 > > > >Mark
18 > > > >
19 > > > It would depend on how your home network is set up. A squid proxy
20 > > > could work for you. What are you trying to accomplish?
21 > > >
22 > > Thanks. I'll look into squid. I guess with squid all of that machine's
23 > > requests go to this machine and then it forwards stuff on, keeping a
24 > > record? Is that the basic idea?
25 > >
26 > > If so, does that mean that all traffic for the machine in question
27 > > actually does through the squid machine? If so that might mean too
28 > > much wireless traffic the way we are set up.
29 >
30 > yes thats the point of squid it is a proxy.
31
32 OK, but that's like using the word in the definition to a guy who's
33 never used a proxy. ;-)
34
35 I'm still unclear though, and I'm sure I'll find this out either
36 through reading or use. do all packets for the machine using the proxy
37 go through the proxy? Or is it more like a DNS server where just the
38 URL's go through the proxy to figure out what to do?
39
40 Right now the machine under observation is on one wireless leg. The
41 one machine that's on all the time is on anothe wireless leg. Neither
42 is directly tied to the cable modem. If the traffic pattern looks like
43
44 M_OBSERVE -> router -> M_SQUID -> router -> Internet -> router ->
45 M_SQUID -> router -> M_OBSERVE
46
47 The I created a lot of extra wireless traffic, especially since the
48 machine being observed seems to like to watch a lot of gaming videos.
49 If it's just addresses, then no big deal. If it's the whole data
50 stream then it's not going to work well.
51
52 On the other hand I have a MythTV frontend that is not always turned
53 on but could be, I suppose, which is on the router, as are a few of my
54 audio machines. I'm loath to start putting this stuff on machines in
55 my studio....
61 > > Or is it just the addresses that are proxied?
62 > >
63 > > As for purpose, as I said earlier my wife wants to know all web sites
64 > > that a certain computer on our network visits over time.
65 >
66 > trouble with the kids?
67
68 :-)