From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for other Seamonkey users
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 04:19:57
1 Hund wrote:
2 > On April 5, 2021 12:17:59 AM GMT+02:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> As some may know, I use Seamonkey for several things.  Mostly for email
6 >> but using it for email leads to it being used for other things, like
7 >> clicking links in email and viewing the page in Seamonkey.  I tried
8 >> switching to Thunderbird, which is supposed to be about the same thing
9 >> but I didn't like it at all.  It's different and in a bad way.
10 >>
11 >> Thing is, some sites are no longer working as they should.  It seems
12 >> with each upgrade, Seamonkey has more issues with things not working
13 >> correctly.  I might add, most add-ons, adblock being a big one, no
14 >> longer work.  They haven't had updates in ages.  With all this, it makes
15 >> me wonder if Seamonkey is still viable or if it is something I have set
16 >> wrong.  Is anyone else who uses Seamonkey noticing the same problems
17 >> with add-ons and sites not working right?  I may start trying to make a
18 >> list of sites that don't work right. Maybe someone else can see what it
19 >> does for them.  I know my financial sites act weird but without login
20 >> info, no way to really test those.  I might add, it seems that sites
21 >> with security measures are the ones with the most issues.  I use Firefox
22 >> for most things now.  I have different profiles and even use containers
23 >> to help secure things.  I really wish I liked Thunderbird and could use
24 >> that and Firefox to replace Seamonkey.  Sadly, Thunderbird just isn't
25 >> for me last I checked.
26 >>
27 >> This is my Seamonkey info:
30 >> [ebuild     U ~] www-client/seamonkey-2.53.7::gentoo
31 >> [2.53.7_beta1::gentoo] USE="chatzilla dbus gmp-autoupdate ipc roaming
32 >> startup-notification system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg
33 >> system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -crypt -custom-cflags
34 >> -custom-optimization -debug -jack (-lto) -minimal (-neon) -pulseaudio
35 >> (-selinux) -test -wifi" L10N="-cs -de -en-GB -es-AR -es-ES -fr -hu -it
36 >> -ja -lt -nl -pl -pt-PT -ru -sk -sv -zh-CN -zh-TW"
40 >> Anyone else seeing this or am I the only Gentoo user using Seamonkey?
41 >>
42 >> Thanks.
43 >>
44 >> Dale
45 >>
46 >> :-)  :_)
47 >>
48 > Have you considered something more modern like Neomutt?
49 >
50 > --
51 > Hund
56 I looked at some screenshots of it.  My first question, does it handle
57 HTML?  I get a lot of emails that are HTML, and maybe only HTML.  I
58 can't control them either.  Some are large financial type companies or
59 other large companies.  I confess tho, Seamonkey blocks most tracking
60 type stuff and images unless I make exceptions.  Well, it does until it
61 breaks anyway.  Since adblock is broke, it may break soon too.  When it
62 comes to emails, I'm pretty much a GUI with the bells and whistles type.
63
64 My second question, can I make it work well with multiple profiles of
65 Firefox running?  I have profiles that have certain add-ons installed
66 for certain tasks.  For example, I have one that I only use to deal with
67 videos.  I have another that I use for banking and such.  I also use it
68 for ordering sites and use containers to separate those by task.  If I
69 click on a link, I'd need to tell it somehow what profile to open it
70 in.  When I tried Thunderbird, I had trouble getting it to open in
71 Firefox, which I found odd.  I tried just having one profile but some
72 add-ons don't play well with others and it gets very memory hungry.
73 It's better to have different profiles for different types of uses.
74
75 Another question, can I just copy my current emails over and "import"
76 them?  I think Seamonkey uses mbox type setup.  I know I could with
77 Thunderbird but it was a bit fussy.  It did work tho. It also made it
78 easier to switch back.
79
80 In a way, I don't want to switch.  Thing is, I may have to.  At the rate
81 Seamonkey is going, it may become a door stop.  It's getting updates but
82 I have no clue how well maintained it really is.  I see new features
83 added to Firefox all the time but Seamonkey can't even keep the most
84 popular add-on working anymore.  Adblock was last updated in Seamonkey
85 in 2017.  It's still installed but one can't even add filter
86 subscriptions anymore.
87
88 Switching is going to cause all sorts of havoc.  Can I just go see the
89 dentist?  :/
90
91 Dale
92