From: Michael Mauch <michael.mauch@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Wiki Howto: Xorg and Fonts, did I fatally screw up the directions?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:53:17
1 Rob wrote:
2
3 > The first thing I am not certain of is my recompilation of Xorg using
4 > the suggested USE flags. I put the new USE flags in /etc/make.conf and
5 > then issued the command: "emerge -N xorg-x11". Will that work, or do I
6 > have to do the emerge with "emerge --newuse --enable bitmap-fonts
7 > truetype-fonts type1-fonts" explicitely? Perhaps my understanding of
8 > USE flags is wrong for recompiling packages.
9
10 emerge has no "--enable" option (you can see this in "man emerge"), and
11 you don't need the -N option if you re-emerge a single package.
12 If you want to set USE flags, edit /etc/make.conf (search for USE
13 there).
14
15 To see the USE flags for the xorg-x11 package, try
16
17 emerge -av xorg-x11
18
19 (look in the man page to find out what the -a and -v options mean; after
20 all it could be possible that I tell you something wrong).
21
22 The output of that command is (here):
23
24 | These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
25 |
26 | Calculating dependencies ...done!
27 | [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r4 -3dfx +3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk
28 | -debug -dlloader -dmx +doc -font-server -insecure-drivers +ipv6 -minimal
29 | +mmx +nls -nocxx +opengl +pam -sdk -sse -static +truetype-fonts
30 | +type1-fonts (-uclibc) +xprint* +xv 0 kB
31 |
32 | Total size of downloads: 0 kB
33 |
34 | Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
35
36 The USE flags prepended with a "+" are enabled, the ones starting with
37 "-" are disabled, the "*" after "+xprint" means that it's a changed USE
38 flag since the last emerge of xorg-x11.
39
40 bitmap-fonts, truetype-fonts and type1-fonts are all enabled here, and I
41 don't have them listed in my USE flags in /etc/make.conf. They are the
42 default (so some people can disable them if they want to).
43
44 > I wonder about this, because I enable the xtt module in my
45 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I get an error message that the xtt module
46 > cannot be found. Using slocate I confirmed that xtt is nowhere to be found.
47
48 I don't know whether xorg has an "xtt" module. My xorg.conf has
49 "freetype" and "type1", but no "xtt".
50
51 Regards...
52 Michael
53 --