From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:47:05
1 On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > There's nothing in Gentoo that guarantees everybody has ext2 support
5 > in their kernels. That said, I agree that ext2 (or perhaps ext3 with
6 > journalling disabled -- I've always been a bit fuzzy on whether that's
7 > exactly the same thing or not)
8
9 Sorry, I just wanted to chime in on one thing. While a journal
10 probably will cause more flash wear, it also potentially adds data
11 integrity.
12
13 Now consider that the original message that started this whole thread
14 was important files being stored on flash and being corrupted.
15 Getting rid of the journal might not be the best move.
16
17 Unless you have a LOT of writes to flash you're not going to wear it
18 out, especially with wear-leveling algorithms.
19
20 Oh, and finally, if it matters that much, have a backup...
23 Rich