From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:42:25
1 On 2016-08-30, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > ext2 is on every system,
4
5 Unless it isn't.
6
7 There's nothing in Gentoo that guarantees everybody has ext2 support
8 in their kernels. That said, I agree that ext2 (or perhaps ext3 with
9 journalling disabled -- I've always been a bit fuzzy on whether that's
10 exactly the same thing or not) is as close to a "universal" Linux
11 filesystem as you're going to get. I would guess that the percentage
12 of Gentoo systems that suport ext2/3 is _way_ _way_ higher than the
13 percentage that support exfat.
14
15 > exfat not. ext2 is very stable, tested and well aged. exfat is some
16 > fuse something crap. New, hardly tested and unstable as it gets.
17 >
18 > And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
19
20 I agree. If you want to transport something between Linux systems,
21 use ext2/3 and use "mount" options to handle the permission issues.
24 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! JAPAN is a WONDERFUL
25 at planet -- I wonder if we'll
26 gmail.com ever reach their level of
27 COMPARATIVE SHOPPING ...