From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:49:30
1 On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 08:58 +0100, Jan Stępień wrote:
2 [...]
3
4 > Is it possible to enable some kind of a chooser which would allow me to
5 > choose whether I'd like to launch Xgl or Xorg? While working on my
6 > /usr/share/gdm/default.conf I've spotted a server called 'chooser'.
7 > Could you tell me what is this server doing and could it be a solution
8 > for my problem?
11 A "chooser" in the GDM/XDMCP sense is a program that lists available
12 hosts to log into (via XDMCP).
13
14 I'm not aware of any program that will allow you to choose between X
15 servers any more than I'm aware of a program that will allow you to pick
16 MTAs. The simplest solution is to just pick one. Why would you want to
17 bounce back and forth between X servers?
18
19 > Of course the choice doesn't have to be done in GDM. It could be a tiny
20 > bash script or a simple C++ application run in the default runlevel
21 > which would ask me for pressing a specific key to run Xorg - otherwise
22 > it will run Xgl - for example changing the line "0=Standard" in the file
23 > I've mentioned above. Have you got ideas or do I have to write such an
24 > app by myself?
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 > Jan Stępień
30 Why should you need to write anything. Forget GDM and if you want to
31 run X then type "X [ENTER]". If you want Xgl then "Xgl [ENTER]". But
32 again, why would you want to complicate your life with 2 different X
33 servers?
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list