From: Massimiliano Ziccardi <massimiliano.ziccardi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with emerge --update
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:17:24
1 >It's far preferable to let people like yourself suffer the consequences of
2 not
3 >reading documentation
4
5 Touched :-)
6
7 However, I read the documentation.
8 It's just that this is my first gentoo installation: I didn't get I had to
9 uninstall the older version of the software to upgrade to the new one.
10
11 Especially when it says 'We still provide monolithic ebuilds for 3.5 (up
12 till 3.5.9) and they are ***cleanly interoperable*** with the split ones.'
13
14 However, I think now I understand how it works a little bit more (but not
15 too much ;-) ).
16
17 One more thing: couldn't those 'stable users' read the documentation too,
18 and unmask the obsolete package (if they were masked)?
19
20 Massimiliano