From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: GRUB2 migration
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 00:40:09
1 On 07/05/2012 04:20 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
5 > upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other than
6 > chroot'in in and all.
7
8 There are basically only two ways that grub2 or grub1 can fail:
9
10 First, you reboot and you don't even see a grub prompt because
11 the grub part of your boot sector is broken in some way. I think
12 the only practical way is to reinstall grub to the boot sector
13 of your boot disk, which probably involves booting from another
14 medium like a rescue CD, etc.
15
16 Second, you reboot and see a valid grub shell prompt but your
17 list of boot selections is missing for some reason.
18
19 In that case I've been able to bail out very simply by typing
20 various grub shell commands until I re-discover the right disk
21 in case the BIOS disk numbering has changed for some reason.
22
23 You do have to know the grub shell commands pretty well to get
24 away with that, though. The way to learn them is to hit 'c'
25 at the grub menu to drop into the grub shell mode and keep
26 hitting 'tab' to see a list of available commands wherever
27 you happen to be at the time. Just like legacy grub.