From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GRUB2 migration
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 00:53:17
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 07/05/2012 04:20 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
5 >> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other than
6 >> chroot'in in and all.
7 > There are basically only two ways that grub2 or grub1 can fail:
8 >
9 > First, you reboot and you don't even see a grub prompt because
10 > the grub part of your boot sector is broken in some way. I think
11 > the only practical way is to reinstall grub to the boot sector
12 > of your boot disk, which probably involves booting from another
13 > medium like a rescue CD, etc.
14 >
15 > Second, you reboot and see a valid grub shell prompt but your
16 > list of boot selections is missing for some reason.
17 >
18 > In that case I've been able to bail out very simply by typing
19 > various grub shell commands until I re-discover the right disk
20 > in case the BIOS disk numbering has changed for some reason.
21 >
22 > You do have to know the grub shell commands pretty well to get
23 > away with that, though. The way to learn them is to hit 'c'
24 > at the grub menu to drop into the grub shell mode and keep
25 > hitting 'tab' to see a list of available commands wherever
26 > you happen to be at the time. Just like legacy grub.
33 The way it broke for me was when I updated grub but didn't update the
34 MBR. I found that out after I rebooted. It was in one of those ewarn
35 messages thingys. It's nice to see those after the fact tho. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!