From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 03:52:22
1 On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 05:43:33AM +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > I would try this:
3 > Boot your PC, ssh into the PC and download the according
4 > nvidia-drivers directly from NVIDIA of the same version.
5
6 > On 06/08 06:20, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
7 > > No console except SSH. I'm not sure I can invoke startx from an SSH.
8
9 Irrelevant aside:
10
11 The kernel loads the graphics drivers on boot; it is no longer the
12 responsibility of X under normal circumstances. Assuming you can get access to
13 the kernel command line arguments (with grub, this can be done from the bootup
14 menu [1]), passing the `nomodeset` option will prevent the NVIDIA drivers from
17 I had a very similar situation with my AMD drivers a while ago, and being able
18 to use the local (pseudo-)TTY made debugging an order of magnitude less painful.
19
20 [1] https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
24 Ashley Dixon
25 suugaku.co.uk