From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any booby-traps with AMD64?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:39:08
1 On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:41:10 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > This'll be my first linux install that won't be 32-bit Intel. I've
4 > been reading the AMD64 install docs on the Gentoo.org website. The big
5 > items I've noticed are...
6 > - stick with ext2fs/ext3fs with all other filesystems being unstable
7
8 I've been running resierfs and xfs for well over a year with zero
9 problems.
10
11 > I intend to use the following partition layout...
12 > - / 8 gigs
13 > - swap 2 gigs
14 > - /var 8 gigs
15 > - /home gets the rest of the drive. There'll be tons of my garbage
16 > under /home/misc. /usr/local and /opt will be symlinks on / with
17 > the actual files sitting in /home/misc/local and /home/misc/opt.
18
19 8GB for / is probably OK, I have that size for /usr, with /var and .opt
20 mounted on /usr/{var,opt} and it's around 75% full (/ is ~150MB).
21 symlinks for partitions always seem kludgy to me, I prefer to mount on
22 the directory with the bind option, I use
23
24 /usr/var /var auto bind 0 0
25
26 in /etc/fstab.
27
28 > This layout reflects my experiences from my Windows and Redhat days.
29 > Keep the OS on its own partition, so you can blow away and re-install or
30 > install the next version as required.
31
32 There is no "next version" with Gentoo, so this doesn't really apply.
33 Even if you did feel some odd need to reinstall, it's no big deal to tar
34 up /usr/local before doing so.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 Top Oxymorons Number 48: freewill offering