From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 20:42:43
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Well, I got rid of openldap. It runs longer but still crashes so I am back
6 >> to Fluxbox again, which works fine. I also started with a fresh .kde4
7 >> directory. That seemed to help more than anything else. It lasted a LOT
8 >> longer after that. I don't know if it was a coincidence or what but it did
9 >> lock up once when I logged into Konsole as root.
10 >>
11 >> I started a emerge -e world this time. This thing has 4 cores so it won't
12 >> take to long. Any ideas on what else I can try? If this emerge doesn't
13 >> help, it has to be a config file somewhere.
14 >>
15 >> Again, I'm pretty sure it is not hardware. It runs fine when compiling in a
16 >> console and I have run from systemrescue stick as well. Hardware seems to
17 >> work fine.
18 >>
19 >> Ideas?
20 >>
21 > It's a long shot, but since you're using nvidia, I had random lockups.
22 > It turned out to be due to faulty handling of the on-by-default
23 > aggressive power savings mode of my Nvidia card. It was solved by
24 > placing this undocumented incantation, pieced together from various
25 > Google searches, in my xorg.conf device section for my video card:
26 >
27 > Section "Device"
28 > Identifier "nVidia GT 240"
29 > Driver "nvidia"
30 > Option "RegistryDWords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1;
31 > PerfLevelSrc=0x3322; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
32 > EndSection
33 >
34 > After that, everything works wonderfully.
35 >
36 > You can also use nvidia-settings to change the power saving mode at
37 > run-time, but it does not save it and you must do it every time you
38 > log into X, which is annoying. The xorg.conf method above requires no
39 > further action.
40 >
41 > Your card may not even support PowerMizer, who knows? I thought I'd
42 > mention it just in case.
46 I haven't updated the drivers in a while. Would something like that
47 just up and change even with no upgrade? I ask because I don't
48 honestly know the answer. Also, would it not cause problems in Fluxbox
49 as well? I played video in Fluxbox last night and it never missed a
50 beat. I use smplayer to play videos just like I do in KDE.
51
52 This is what sort of confuses me. KDE was locking up usually in less
53 than a minute after logging in. After getting rid of openldap, it did
54 the same. After renaming my .kde4 directory, it lasted several minutes
55 before locking up. During one lockup, I even got the SysReq key to work
56 and could reboot. The last time was a HARD lock up complete with the
57 flashing lights on my keyboard.
58
59 If this still locks up after emerge -e world and a reboot, I'm not sure
60 what to do next. That should eliminate a corrupt file. Renaming .kde4
61 fixed KDE config problems so that doesn't leave much. I'm going to log
62 into my test user and see what if anything it does. I'm not going to do
63 any tinkering with settings, just the default stuff. I'll post back
64 later what it does.
65
66 Dale
67