From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:41:58
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Well, I got rid of openldap. It runs longer but still crashes so I
6 >>> am back
7 >>> to Fluxbox again, which works fine. I also started with a fresh .kde4
8 >>> directory. That seemed to help more than anything else. It lasted
9 >>> a LOT
10 >>> longer after that. I don't know if it was a coincidence or what but
11 >>> it did
12 >>> lock up once when I logged into Konsole as root.
13 >>>
14 >>> I started a emerge -e world this time. This thing has 4 cores so it
15 >>> won't
16 >>> take to long. Any ideas on what else I can try? If this emerge
17 >>> doesn't
18 >>> help, it has to be a config file somewhere.
19 >>>
20 >>> Again, I'm pretty sure it is not hardware. It runs fine when
21 >>> compiling in a
22 >>> console and I have run from systemrescue stick as well. Hardware
23 >>> seems to
24 >>> work fine.
25 >>>
26 >>> Ideas?
27 >> It's a long shot, but since you're using nvidia, I had random lockups.
28 >> It turned out to be due to faulty handling of the on-by-default
29 >> aggressive power savings mode of my Nvidia card. It was solved by
30 >> placing this undocumented incantation, pieced together from various
31 >> Google searches, in my xorg.conf device section for my video card:
32 >>
33 >> Section "Device"
34 >> Identifier "nVidia GT 240"
35 >> Driver "nvidia"
36 >> Option "RegistryDWords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1;
37 >> PerfLevelSrc=0x3322; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
38 >> EndSection
39 >>
40 >> After that, everything works wonderfully.
41 >>
42 >> You can also use nvidia-settings to change the power saving mode at
43 >> run-time, but it does not save it and you must do it every time you
44 >> log into X, which is annoying. The xorg.conf method above requires no
45 >> further action.
46 >>
47 >> Your card may not even support PowerMizer, who knows? I thought I'd
48 >> mention it just in case.
51 > I haven't updated the drivers in a while. Would something like that
52 > just up and change even with no upgrade? I ask because I don't
53 > honestly know the answer. Also, would it not cause problems in
54 > Fluxbox as well? I played video in Fluxbox last night and it never
55 > missed a beat. I use smplayer to play videos just like I do in KDE.
56 >
57 > This is what sort of confuses me. KDE was locking up usually in less
58 > than a minute after logging in. After getting rid of openldap, it did
59 > the same. After renaming my .kde4 directory, it lasted several
60 > minutes before locking up. During one lockup, I even got the SysReq
61 > key to work and could reboot. The last time was a HARD lock up
62 > complete with the flashing lights on my keyboard.
63 >
64 > If this still locks up after emerge -e world and a reboot, I'm not
65 > sure what to do next. That should eliminate a corrupt file. Renaming
66 > .kde4 fixed KDE config problems so that doesn't leave much. I'm going
67 > to log into my test user and see what if anything it does. I'm not
68 > going to do any tinkering with settings, just the default stuff. I'll
69 > post back later what it does.
70 >
71 > Dale
72 >
73 > :-) :-)
76 I added the line to my xorg file. Just in case. ;-)
77
78 I logged into my test user with a clean .kde4 directory. It took a few
79 minutes but it did lock up when I opened Konsole again. I booted my USB
80 stick again and did a check on the file systems. It says everything is
81 fine but I'm doing a fresh install on my spare drive. It was a drive
82 that I got along with my video card. Anyway, I'm going to test the new
83 drive here in a little while and see if it still locks up or what. I
84 copied over some files in /etc and my world file plus distfiles. I'm
85 trying not to copy over any more than I have to.
86
87 Dale
88