From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:54:57
1 On 11/22/2014 07:12 PM, wireless@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 11/22/14 01:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM, <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 11/21/14 17:10, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >
6 >> If you want to work on them, you might consider becoming a dev, or
7 >> working on them in an overlay (which is a good way to become a dev,
8 >> actually).
9 >
10 > Exactly, I agree. That is why the idea to have a small core of Gentoo
11 > elites (the chosen devs) and move everyone else into overlays, is a
12 > very bad idea.
15 I don't see the argument here. It depends very much on what that
16 actually means.
17
18 >> You seem to be under the impression that Gentoo devs work on things
19 >> that the Gentoo leadership tells them to work on. That is hardly the
20 >> case, many of our most important packages are also the least
21 >> maintained, because devs work on what they work on, and not on the
22 >> stuff the leadership considers important. If a Gentoo developer
23 >> wanted to work on Java the leadership wouldn't interfere with that
24 >> just as they didn't interfere with a couple of devs deciding to fork
25 >> udev.
26 >
27 >> Rich
30 > Not really. I think you misss my points and intentions exactly. Java is
31 > critical and growing. Folks are constantly knocking on the gentoo door
32 > with technologies, that are java centric. Here is the latest one, just
33 > posted to gentoo-dev:
36 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
39 > I tried to participate with the java herd/project. Few have the
40 > authority to close old java bugs. The few that do, are apathetic,
41 > absent or just do not 'give a shit'. I was told to go work
42 > on java bugs, maybe somebody will notice. Really.
43 >
44 > The first 100 or so I looked at, are deprecated. They just need somebody
45 > to 'remove them' the BGO java backlog is being artificially used to
46 > prevent java work on gentoo. Somebody of authority needs to open
47 > up java for other folks to work on. Close the 100 oldest bugs
48 > is a no brainer and a good start, yet nobody will do that, and nobody
49 > else is allowed to close them. *CONVENIENT* if you hate java and are
50 > in control.
51 >
52 > If this is not true, the the council should open up java bug cleaning.
53 > Worst case scenario, these hundreds of old bugs will have to be
54 > re-filed, with updated data from this decade..... (actually a very
55 > excellent idea in and of itself).
56 >
57 > This policy, whether part of a grand conspiracy, or due to apathetic
58 > leadership, has the net effect to run off potential new devs to gentoo
59 > and who like java.
60 >
61 > PS. sorry about forking to new threads, my access is now nntp
62 > (earlybird) and it just down not follow the thread correctly.
65 > Rich, I actually appreciate you help. But somebody of authority is going
66 > to have to step into this java on gentoo mess and clean house,
67 > provide leadership and encourage (hell, just remove the roadblocks)
68 > from java on gentoo.
69 >
70 > OK?
74 Gentoo has a lot of organizational, technical and social problems. Some
75 of them would just stop existing if we'd move to a more distributed
76 model, because you'd be able to regroup more easily and work on the
77 things you care about without stepping on each others toes.
78
79 No one would care in such a distributed model if there is one person
80 blocking progress somewhere. They would just move on, regroup around a
81 new overlay and start working there and let that guy/project rot forever.
82
83 Users would easily be able to pick up what the most community-driven and
84 collaborative overlays are and would support those instead of some idle,
85 stubborn or hard-to-work-with overlay maintainers.
86
87 In that sense, there wouldn't be a single java ebuild in the core tree.
88 That would totally be a community effort and you wouldn't have to vent
89 that much here, but would be working on java ebuilds instead.
90
91 Hell, you could even easily fork the WHOLE base-system and toolchain
92 without forking the whole rest of the distro.
93
94 We don't need more authority, we need less... and we need more actual
95 opensource workflow. Our tools, our organizational model and our
96 workflow are ALL ancient. And they don't seem to work very well, do they?
97
98 Also see: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distributed_Gentoo