From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Update portage cache ... horribly slow
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:59:32
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Pawe³ Madej [mailto:linux@××××××××.info]
3 > Sent: 28 September 2005 12:25
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update portage cache ... horribly slow
8 > Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
9 > > This cache is used to resolve all packages you want to
10 > update,install
11 > > or remove from your box; if you turn off this cache you
12 > would need to
13 > > do the same action to every emerge option; I believe that
14 > is better to
15 > > let it do just when updating portage tree .... :)
16 > >
17 > > Holpe it helps, Allan
18 >
19 > Thx for fast answer.
20 >
21 > Ok I'll leave it as is, but maybe is there any way too speedup it? It
22 > runs on my P3 800 / HDD 5400 rpm more that 10 minutes.
23 >
24 > Or it is working on every computer so slowly?
25
26 Be grateful you're not running my PIII 600MHz. If you also are running
27 X with a browser, xmms, or mplayer and updatedb decides to join in, then
28 20 min to 1/2 hour is a possibility! I'll make a mental note to measure
29 how long it takes next time I sync.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick