From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Domain name registration
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:35:54
1 Chuck Robey <chuckr <at> telenix.org> writes:
4 > > I'm looking for suggestions to use for DNS registrars.
5
6 > I do precisely this, using GoDaddy. I don't see why using a service like that
7 > wouldn't be possible to get into what you want. You'd have to make sure, when
8 > you set it up, that you didn't ask GoDaddy to supply any other services, but
9 > it's certainly possible. I run my own server, I get the name from GoDaddy, but
10 > they provide no nameserver services, nor web pages. I used to get it from a
11 > different vendor, but their service turned out to stink, so I learned that it
12 > takes about a week or two to transfer the name (from X to GoDaddy), because all
13 > services (like GoDaddy) need to go to reasonable lengths to make sure that they
14 > aren't faked out by frauds. You probably wouldn't really want less.
15
16 I'm not sure that only registering a DN with GoDaddy, means that *you*
17 actually own that DN. Might be possible, but in the dozens of friends
18 I've tried to help, all got screwed by GoDaddy. It just seems to me
19 it's easier to prevent it. Besides do I really want to reward a company
20 like GoDaddy with my business? Methinks not. ymmv.
21
22 My experience with other friends is that when they try to move from GoDaddy,
23 they get informed that GoDaddy owns the Domain Name. I'm not transferring
24 a DNS that I already own, so, I'm very leery of using Go Daddy. They
25 might be ok to transfer an existing name, but, I'm not willing to
26 take that risk.
30 Have you ever successfully transferred a DN that you originally registered
31 initially with GoDaddyto another registrar?
34 Maybe I should justget ripped by Network solutions for a raw
35 registration for $35.00 and just be down with it?
38 James