From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x : a couple of questions
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:24:32
1 On Thursday 18 January 2007 23:24, b.n. wrote:
2 > - I'm going to follow [1] (of course) and [2] (looks nice). Other useful
3 > guides?
4
5 [1] alone should be fine. Assuming your CHOST isn't i386.
6
7 > - Is there a new incompatible GCC upgrade going to be unmasked? I see
8 > 4.2 and 4.3 are hard masked, but if there is the suspicion they're going
9 > to be used relatively soon AND they are not binary compatible with 4.1,
10 > I may wait for those. When I did 3.3-->3.4, I waited long, and 4.1
11 > became stable after a week... :/
12
13 You didn't tell us whether you are running stable or ~arch. If you're stable
14 then certainly not since it's not even ~arch yet. Even if ~arch I don't think
15 so.
16
17 > - Is it mandatory/highly advisable to recompile also the kernel, or can
18 > I postpone? In the first case, when it's better to recompile it (before
19 > all/after all)?
20
21 It's best to do it. I think I'd compile it right before `emerge -e world` and
22 wait with the reboot till it's all done. That way kernel modules compiled
23 during world will be built against a kernel that was compiled with the same
24 compiler.
25
26 > - Do I have to emerge glibc 2.4 first and gcc later, or I can have glibc
27 > emerged in the emerge -e system?
28
29 Assuming your CHOST isn't i386 it's fine to just let `emerge -e system` do it
30 when instructed to do that.
31
32 > - Any other glitch/tarpit I must be aware of?
33
34 If on the other hand your CHOST is i386 then you must follow the guide for
35 changing your CHOST very carefully (I'd do it first) and avoid the gcc
36 upgrade guide till after you've finished the CHOST guide. If you try to
37 follow both guides at once your system will become broken! (If you want to
38 just stay on i386 then you need a no-nptl profile).
39
40 > [1]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml#doc_chap2
41 > [2]http://www.benr75.com/pages/gentoo_gcc_4.1.1_upgrade_guide
44 Bo Andresen