From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm trying to emerge polkit, now it wants to bring in all of KDE
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:54:42
1 On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Just what is happening with ebuilds today? At work, I'm in the process
4 > of setting up a workstation using the KDE profile. I've gone to the KDE
5 > install doco on the wiki, http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE, had a read
6 > and it says that I'll need D-Bus, polkit, udev and udisks. I can emerge
7 > D-Bus with no problems then onto polkit which its wiki says needs D-Bus
8 > and consolekit.
9 >
10 > So I attempt to install consolekit and bingo, there's the avalanche.
11 > Perl crap everywhere, Samba, MySQL & MariaDB, and I don't even use
12 > either of these DB's, a battle between LibAV and FFMPEG, what looks like
13 > all of KDE and oh look, there's vlc along for the ride. Even zlib
14 > decides it wants to come along but manages to block itself. That many
15 > files want to come along to the party that I can't "Shift PgUp" back up
16 > through my text console to see it all - a text console because I don't
17 > have any graphics installed yet.
18 >
19 > I had a look at the consolekit ebuild and it says that it needs polkit,
20 > even though the wiki says that polkit depends upon consolekit - going
21 > round in circles here. So I looked at the polkit ebuild and it looks
22 > like it needs polkit-kde-agent, which to my untrained eye, probably is
23 > responsible for this avalanche os stuff - I think....
24 >
25 > So what do I have to do to not have this avalanche of stuff, so that I
26 > can emerge pieces bit by bit, so that I can see what's happening. I've
27 > probably got some of the above slightly wrong, "lost in translation"
28 > going from work to home, but "the vibe" is there. It is so frustrating
29 > when you sit there and see a massive list of packages, a good proportion
30 > I don't even want, I'm looking at you MySQL/MariaDB - isn't this due to
31 > the Akonadi mess, scroll up the screen and it makes no sense as to why
32 > things are being brought in.
33 >
34 > There, I've vented my spleen, any thoughts on how to control this
35 > "beast" would be greatly appreciated.
36 >
37 > Regards,
38 > Andrew
41 Can you post the output of the command lines shown below:
42 (1). eselect profile list
43 (2). emerge --info|grep USE
44 (3). cat /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
45 (4). cat /etc/portage/package.use
46
47 Is this a brand new setup you're working on, or are you just switching profiles?