From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: python 3.1 safe as default python?
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:25:37
1 On 08/02/2009 06:17 PM, Doug Hunley wrote:
2 > I noticed that my 'emerge world' wants to replace python 2.6.2 with
3 > python 3.1 (I run ~x86).
4
5 Nope, it does not :) It only wants to install it alongside 2.6.x, not
6 replace it.
9 > Is it safe to do so or will portage (and
10 > everything else) freak out? If it is, in fact, safe are there any
11 > extra (special) steps needed to ensure continued operation of things?
12 > Thanks.
13
14 No danger. The default will still be 2.6.x. If you don't specifically
15 need 3.1 though, you can simply mask it since the only thing it will do
16 in your case is take up disk space.