From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] disk error, where?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:19:25
1 On Monday 17 January 2011 21:46:39 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 2011-01-17 21:13, schrieb Alex Schuster:
3 > > Uh-oh. I suggest emerging badblocks, and then do a 'badblocks /dev/sdb'
4 > > to see which and how many blocks are defective. You can also replace
5 > > sdb by sdb6 or whatever partition you are specifically interested in.
6 > > You also might want to use the -n option (non-destructive write mode),
7 > > but only on partitions that are not mounted / used.
8 > >
9 > > smartmontools also offer some diagnostic features. Including a full
10 > > surface check, but it stops at the first error. At least you know then
11 > > until which sectory the drivs is still okay:
12 > > smartctl -tlong /dev/sdb
13 > > wait...
14 > > smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
15 > >
16 > > smartctl -a /dev/sdb also shows lots of info, including the number of
17 > > bad
18 > > and reallocated sectors.
19 > >
20 > > If cou can, make a copy of the partiton(s) drive with ddrescue (or dd-
21 > > rescue, don't know which one is better, but both are more tolerable to
22 > > errors than dd is).
23 > >
24 > > I had drives with single errors that seems to work fine for years after
25 > > this, but I do nto put important data on them. And it is also possible
26 > > that you had a head crash and more and more sectors become defective.
27 > > So do the backup fast, or do not use the drive until you do. Good luck!
28 >
29 > Thanks, Alex ... I will use badblocks and smartctl in more detail after
30 > having the data off the drive (as mentioned in my reply to Mark's
31 > posting right now).
32
33 if the disk has spare sectors, it will map out the sector the next time there
34 is a write to it. So.. no need to offline it.