From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenGL problem after xorg upgrade
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 04:47:02
1 Dale wrote:
2 >> root@smoker / # eselect set opengl nvidia
3 >> !!! Error: Can't load module set
4 >> exiting.
5 >> root@smoker / #
6
7 Bah, I just gave you the command in the wrong order. `eselect opengl set
8 nvidia` was the right one. Need to tell it which module, before the
9 action to use from that module. I see you figured that out below.
10
11 > I assume this ain't good right. O_O OK, I logged out, stopped the GUI,
12 > rmmoded nvidia and reemerged all the nvidia stuff. Reloaded nvidia and
13 > ran the command. Now this is what I get:
14 >
15 >> root@smoker / # eselect opengl show
16 >> nvidia
17 >> root@smoker / #
18 > So that works and then I get this:
19 >
20 >> root@smoker / # glxinfo
21 >> name of display: :0.0
22 >> display: :0 screen: 0
23 >> direct rendering: Yes
24
25 Sweet!
26
27 > That looks good to, still no worky and my screens are really slow.
28 > Sometimes even the mouse is slow. I also noticed that if I go to
29 > configure desktop and try to play with the screen saver settings, it
30 > hogs up a LOT of CPU time. Almost all of it yet it does not work at all.
31
32 Odd.
33
34 > Are you out of ideas yet? I'm not sure what to do. The emerge -e world
35 > is still going though. 309 of 866 and counting. kdelibs went by a bit
36 > ago. It's on swig right now. I dunno what it is.
37
38 This could be a problem, particularly if you have preemption off or
39 don't set PORTAGE_NICENESS. If you're running that in a screen session,
40 try a ^Z (ctrl-z) to suspend it for a bit and see whether that helps,
41 then `fg` to foreground it again.
42
43 > Any clue? Am I doing something wrong? Is this new xorg that bad?
44 > Should I unmask the newer xorg? I read the nvidia drivers are not ready
45 > yet.
46
47 At this point it's not real clear what the problem is. You could try
48 running oprofile to see where all the time is being spent, then rebuild
49 that package with debugging support (Add -g to CFLAGS, remove
50 -fomit-frame-pointer) to get info on where in that program the time is
51 spent.
52
53 To get oprofile going, build the kernel module (it's included in the
54 main kernel, just enable it -- CONFIG_PROFILING in Instrumentation), run
55 `make vmlinux` in /usr/src/linux, emerge oprofile, then run this little
56 script like this:
57 ./oprof someapp
58
59 It will start profiling, and stop when you quit that app. Make sure you
60 run it long enough so that the app's startup stuff isn't the primary
61 thing you profile; you want to profile the runtime slowdowns.
62
63 Thanks,
64 Donnie

oprof text/plain