From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No server profile anymore???
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:49:08
1 Am Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:25:39 +0100
2 schrieb Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Hi gentoo-users,
5 >
6 > today after syncing portage tree I tried to update my system,
7 > but I was "greeted" with message:
8 >
9 > !!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
10 > !!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
11 > !!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:
12 > default/linux/amd64/13.0
13 >
14 > So I reverted to previous snapshot just to see what I had before
15 > ("eselect profile list" did not show any selected). Till today
16 > I had "default/linux/amd64/10.0/server". To my big surprise,
17 > there is no "server" profile for "default/linux/amd64/13.0".
18 >
19 > So is server-profile not suported anymore??? I hope devs had
20 > good reason for this, but anyway a change like *this* should
21 > definitely be communicated with users in advance...
22 >
23 > Right now I'm not sure if Gentoo is not supported for server
24 > at all or "13.0" is substitution for "10.0/server". But before
25 > there were pure "10.0" and "10.0/server" profiles. So it seems
26 > to me server profile was simply removed without any substitution.
27 >
28 > Jarry
29
30 I know it's not the same as a news entry, but it was announced on Planet Gentoo:
31
32 http://dilfridge.blogspot.nl/2013/02/gentoo-100-to-130-profiles-upgrade.html
33
34 The differences to the parent profile were apparently very minimal. From the
35 post:
36
37 > If you have used a server profile so far, you should migrate to its parent,
38 > i.e. from "default/linux/amd64/10.0/server" to "default/linux/amd64/13.0". This
39 > may change the default value of some use-flags (the setting in "server" was
40 > USE="-perl -python snmp truetype xml"), so you may want to check the setting of
41 > these flags after switching profile, but otherwise nothing happens.
42
43 HTH
44 --
45 Marc Joliet
46 --
47 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
48 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup