From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing systemd
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 03:31:35
1 On Mon, Aug 05 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Aug 05 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
7 >>>> (I brought an old system upto the state of my real one and am trying to
8 >>>> follow the wiki for converting to systemd).
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I am upto the part where the wiki says
11 >>>>
12 >>>> emerge --ask systemd
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I believe the wiki left out unmerging or something since the emerge
15 >>>> gives conflicts (as expected).
16 >>>>
17 >>>> What must I unmerge?
18 >>>>
19 >>>> The emerge --ask systemd, specifically mentions a conflict with
20 >>>> consolekit, which it states is pulled in by polkit and pambase.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> I tried adding these last three to package.mask hoping that the emerge
23 >>>> would propose uninstalling them while installing systemd, but that
24 >>>> didn't happen.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> What is/are the step(s) I am missing.
27 >>>
28 >>> If you already compiled everything with USE=-consolekit, just
29 >>> uninstall consolekit. Otherwise, first set -consolekit in your USE
30 >>> flags, emerge --newuse world, and then uninstall it.
31 >>
32 >> That is it. I never set USE=-consolekit. If it is in the wiki, I missed
33 >> it. Thanks.
34 >>
35 >>> logind (included with systemd) provides all the functionality that
36 >>> consolekit provided, and more. They cannot be installed at the same
37 >>> time (hence the block).
38 >>>
39 >>> Be aware, if you had some packages with USE=consolekit (pambase and
40 >>> polkit in particular), you cannot use GDM nor GNOME after you
41 >>> uninstall it and until you install systemd and reboot with it.
42 >>
43 >> I don't understand this last point. You said that I should
44 >> 1. set USE="-consolekit ..."
45 >> 2. emerge --newuse world
46 >> 3. unmerge consolekit
47 >> Since I do steps 1 and 2 before 3, by the time I get to uninstalling
48 >> consolekit, I can be sure that neither pambase and polkit (nor anything
49 >> else) will not be installed with USE=consolekit. So I don't see how
50 >> your last sentence can apply.
51 >
52 > Mmmh. You are missing "4. reboot with systemd". I'm assuming you
53 > haven't booted with systemd yet (you seemed hesitant to do it); logind
54 > will not work under anything different than systemd. The problem is
55 > not uninstalling or not CK (that doesn't matter after "USE=-consolekit
56 > emerge --newuse world", as you correctly pointed); the problem is that
57 > you need to be running systemd for logind to work.
58 >
59 > If logind doesn't work, gdm (and the whole GNOME stack) will acty
60 > strangely, if at all.
61 >
62 >>> Strange things will happen if you do.
63 >>> Login via ssh and VT will work as usual.
64 >>
65 >> ssh and VT will be sufficient.
66 >
67 > Regards.
68
69 I see. I misunderstood you and though the problems were to arise before
70 step 4.
71
72 I get it now. I don't know if I can work on this right away as we are
73 traveling but will report back when I do try it.
74
75 Thanks,
76 allan