From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing systemd
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 03:12:37
1 On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 05 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >>> (I brought an old system upto the state of my real one and am trying to
6 >>> follow the wiki for converting to systemd).
7 >>>
8 >>> I am upto the part where the wiki says
9 >>>
10 >>> emerge --ask systemd
11 >>>
12 >>> I believe the wiki left out unmerging or something since the emerge
13 >>> gives conflicts (as expected).
14 >>>
15 >>> What must I unmerge?
16 >>>
17 >>> The emerge --ask systemd, specifically mentions a conflict with
18 >>> consolekit, which it states is pulled in by polkit and pambase.
19 >>>
20 >>> I tried adding these last three to package.mask hoping that the emerge
21 >>> would propose uninstalling them while installing systemd, but that
22 >>> didn't happen.
23 >>>
24 >>> What is/are the step(s) I am missing.
25 >>
26 >> If you already compiled everything with USE=-consolekit, just
27 >> uninstall consolekit. Otherwise, first set -consolekit in your USE
28 >> flags, emerge --newuse world, and then uninstall it.
29 >
30 > That is it. I never set USE=-consolekit. If it is in the wiki, I missed
31 > it. Thanks.
32 >
33 >> logind (included with systemd) provides all the functionality that
34 >> consolekit provided, and more. They cannot be installed at the same
35 >> time (hence the block).
36 >>
37 >> Be aware, if you had some packages with USE=consolekit (pambase and
38 >> polkit in particular), you cannot use GDM nor GNOME after you
39 >> uninstall it and until you install systemd and reboot with it.
40 >
41 > I don't understand this last point. You said that I should
42 > 1. set USE="-consolekit ..."
43 > 2. emerge --newuse world
44 > 3. unmerge consolekit
45 > Since I do steps 1 and 2 before 3, by the time I get to uninstalling
46 > consolekit, I can be sure that neither pambase and polkit (nor anything
47 > else) will not be installed with USE=consolekit. So I don't see how
48 > your last sentence can apply.
49
50 Mmmh. You are missing "4. reboot with systemd". I'm assuming you
51 haven't booted with systemd yet (you seemed hesitant to do it); logind
52 will not work under anything different than systemd. The problem is
53 not uninstalling or not CK (that doesn't matter after "USE=-consolekit
54 emerge --newuse world", as you correctly pointed); the problem is that
55 you need to be running systemd for logind to work.
56
57 If logind doesn't work, gdm (and the whole GNOME stack) will acty
58 strangely, if at all.
59
60 >> Strange things will happen if you do.
61 >> Login via ssh and VT will work as usual.
62 >
63 > ssh and VT will be sufficient.
64
65 Regards.