From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing systemd
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 03:00:00
1 On Mon, Aug 05 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> (I brought an old system upto the state of my real one and am trying to
5 >> follow the wiki for converting to systemd).
6 >>
7 >> I am upto the part where the wiki says
8 >>
9 >> emerge --ask systemd
10 >>
11 >> I believe the wiki left out unmerging or something since the emerge
12 >> gives conflicts (as expected).
13 >>
14 >> What must I unmerge?
15 >>
16 >> The emerge --ask systemd, specifically mentions a conflict with
17 >> consolekit, which it states is pulled in by polkit and pambase.
18 >>
19 >> I tried adding these last three to package.mask hoping that the emerge
20 >> would propose uninstalling them while installing systemd, but that
21 >> didn't happen.
22 >>
23 >> What is/are the step(s) I am missing.
24 >
25 > If you already compiled everything with USE=-consolekit, just
26 > uninstall consolekit. Otherwise, first set -consolekit in your USE
27 > flags, emerge --newuse world, and then uninstall it.
28
29 That is it. I never set USE=-consolekit. If it is in the wiki, I missed
30 it. Thanks.
31
32 > logind (included with systemd) provides all the functionality that
33 > consolekit provided, and more. They cannot be installed at the same
34 > time (hence the block).
35 >
36 > Be aware, if you had some packages with USE=consolekit (pambase and
37 > polkit in particular), you cannot use GDM nor GNOME after you
38 > uninstall it and until you install systemd and reboot with it.
39
40 I don't understand this last point. You said that I should
41 1. set USE="-consolekit ..."
42 2. emerge --newuse world
43 3. unmerge consolekit
44 Since I do steps 1 and 2 before 3, by the time I get to uninstalling
45 consolekit, I can be sure that neither pambase and polkit (nor anything
46 else) will not be installed with USE=consolekit. So I don't see how
47 your last sentence can apply.
48
49 > Strange things will happen if you do.
50 > Login via ssh and VT will work as usual.
51
52 ssh and VT will be sufficient.
53
54 thanks again,