From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing systemd
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 01:42:22
1 On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > (I brought an old system upto the state of my real one and am trying to
3 > follow the wiki for converting to systemd).
4 >
5 > I am upto the part where the wiki says
6 >
7 > emerge --ask systemd
8 >
9 > I believe the wiki left out unmerging or something since the emerge
10 > gives conflicts (as expected).
11 >
12 > What must I unmerge?
13 >
14 > The emerge --ask systemd, specifically mentions a conflict with
15 > consolekit, which it states is pulled in by polkit and pambase.
16 >
17 > I tried adding these last three to package.mask hoping that the emerge
18 > would propose uninstalling them while installing systemd, but that
19 > didn't happen.
20 >
21 > What is/are the step(s) I am missing.
22
23 If you already compiled everything with USE=-consolekit, just
24 uninstall consolekit. Otherwise, first set -consolekit in your USE
25 flags, emerge --newuse world, and then uninstall it.
26
27 logind (included with systemd) provides all the functionality that
28 consolekit provided, and more. They cannot be installed at the same
29 time (hence the block).
30
31 Be aware, if you had some packages with USE=consolekit (pambase and
32 polkit in particular), you cannot use GDM nor GNOME after you
33 uninstall it and until you install systemd and reboot with it. Strange
34 things will happen if you do. Login via ssh and VT will work as usual.
35
36 Regards.
37 --
38 Canek Peláez Valdés