From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on encrypting my /home
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:10:35
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
4 >
5 > This guide seems reasonable. I think the current live CD includes the
6 > version of cryptsetup that understands LUKS though, so it shouldn't be
7 > necessary to download that. And I prefer to randomize the disk by
8 > encrypting with a random password before I setup the actual mapping.
9 >
10 > If you want to get started on this before your new laptop arrives, I
11 > suggest starting with the initramfs and encrypting swap only. You
12 > should be able to create an initramfs that will setup the mapping and
13 > do the swapon before your root filesystem mounts. Once you have that
14 > working, and are comfortable with how the initramfs works, you can
15 > move on to your root filesystem.
16
17 I followed that guide and have now managed to boot from my encrypted
18 root-fs, using the current genkernel, which provides LUKS-support via
19 --luks. Doing it this way I skipped the init-script on that page completely.
20
21 But this only works for /root, not for swap.
22
23 As my goal is to encrypt root and swap *and* use suspend2, I had to go
24 slightly different paths than the mentioned howto says.
25
26 There are various HOWTOs out there, but no one that exactly meets my
27 requirements. (For example I also tried genkernel-luks 3.1.0, but AFAI
28 can see, this is already merged into the current genkernel 3.4.0)
29
30 Would you recommend to use the initramfs from the HOWTO, or might there
31 be another way of doing it, staying closer at the genkernel-way of doing it?
32
33 -
34
35 I also didn't fully understand that note about having two
36 swap-partitions, one for swap and one for suspend: Wouldn't the
37 suspended image be unencrypted?
38
39 -
40
41 Are there any comparisons between the speed of using
42 aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, 128bit and
43 aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, 256bit ?
44
45 I write this on my P4-M 1.8GHz, using this root-partition:
46
47 /dev/mapper/root is active:
48 cipher: serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256
49 keysize: 256 bits
50 device: /dev/hda6
51 offset: 2056 sectors
52 size: 20111261 sectors
53 mode: read/write
56 and the performance seems OK to me. But it could always be better ;)
57 I will have a look through the docs to see the security-implications of
58 using "only" 128bit.
59
60 Greetings, Stefan.
61 --