From: ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux & Motherboard
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:19:25
1 On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:45:21 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:09:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > I can't remember a single ethernet device in the last several years
7 > > that wasn't fully supported and JustWorked(tm) straight out the box
8 > > on any old arb Linux system.
9 >
10 > When I bought my Asus P5B-E board last year, the drivers for the
11 > Attansic L1 gigabit NIC hadn't made it into the kernel and no live CD
12 > would enable it. I ended up putting a spare PCI NIC in to install
13 > Gentoo, then patching the kernel to enable the on-board one.
14 >
15 > It appeared in the next kernel release, so is not problem now, but
16 > that was less than a year ago.
17 Something similar to that I was referring myself: less than a year ago
18 some cheap realtek model was not kernel supported. I was lucky though:
19 only after 2 weeks it got in to the mm kernel(or was it git?)
20 --
21 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list