From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xterm menu
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 03:56:05
1 Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>>
8 >>> It is a voodoo (i.e. fonts) problem. Things work for me now, with -fp
9 >>> in the Xserver command line and /usr/share/fonts/Type1/ before
10 >>> /usr/share/fonts/misc/. I would prefer to understand what happens
11 >>> rather than blindly apply a fix, but anyway.
12 >>
13 >> Does xterm use different fonts for the menu depending on in which order
14 >> the directories appear in the font path?
17 > The menu has the same fonts when the first in the path is
18 > /usr/share/fonts/100dpi or /usr/share/fonts/Type1/; when
19 > /usr/share/fonts/75dpi it uses smaller fonts. So it seems that it
20 > wants /usr/share/fonts/?dpi. But if /usr/share/fonts/misc/ comes
21 > first, xterm crashes.
22
23 That sounds like a bug in xterm, picking a font that makes it crash,
24 depending on in which order they appear (are being searched through).
25
26 Even when there is a buggy font it picks, it shouldn't crash.